Welcome to M.V Hospital for Diabetes, established by late Prof. M.Viswanathan, Doyen of Diabetology in India in 1954 as a general hospital. In 1971 it became a hospital exclusively for Diabetes care. It has, at present,100 beds for the treatment of diabetes and its complications.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Lantus and Cancer Risk

Some news has come out in the last couple of days about a possible link between Lantus and an increased risk of some types of cancer.
Now, they are telling people not to panic and not to stop taking their Lantus!!!!
Like the last scare with Rosiglitazone, where there was initially some big concerns about increased cardiovascular risks as a result of trials that were not necessarily looking for CV risks, and which from later studies it was found that there was no significant difference in CV risk between Avandia and other common diabetic drugs - I myself stopped taking Avandia because of that scare and really did myself a disservice because the drug was actually really good at keeping my BG under control.
When I first heard the news about Lantus - which I take twice a day - my immediate reaction was, "better make an appointment with the endo and get off this evil stuff!"
But then I remembered my experience with Avandia. Lantus actually works very well for me and less hypos - a much smoother ride than protophane. So this time I've decided I'm not going to panic, and sit back and wait for the outcome of further trials.
I guess there are always risks/benefits that have to be weighed up with any drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tip of the Week

Tip of the Week
Choose the right shoe and socks