during the day and muscle loss due to changes in the regular diet and timings of meals.
If you are diabetic and fast during Ramadan, you need to take steps to avoid hypoglycaemia and hyperglycemia. Follow doctor’s instructions carefully and check glucose levels twice while fasting and once after breaking the fast.
- Eat food items like grains, barley, wheat, oats, millet, semolina, beans, lentils, bran, green peas, apricots, prunes and almonds.
- Avoid big meals and eat slowly.
- Drink juice to avoid digestive problems.
- Avoid deep fried food and red meat as it causes acidity and digestion problems.
- Have proper protein intake.
- Avoid hypoglycemia (low sugar level in blood).
Start the day with water followed by vegetable sandwiches or oats with veggies and nuts. In the evenings, break your fast with water again and eat dates and fruits as well. After the prayers, take rice, rotis, salad, vegetables, dhall or chicken.
It is important to eat a good amount of vegetables to provide enough nutrition to the body. If you have a sweet craving , satisfy it by including fruits in your meal as it will help digest the food better.
Include fibre and protein-rich foods.
Avoid eating fried, oily and heavy food items as they cannot be easily digested and can make your stomach bloated later.
Start your day with:
oats /brown rice/roties made of wheat, ragi, jowar fruits, and nuts Milk, curds, and buttermilk.
Break your fast with fruits and opt for the following:
chicken/ fish – steamed, boiled, grilled, roasted or paneer green veggies or mix vegetables
Drink plenty of water before you sleep to rehydrate yourself and rest well to rejuvenate
your body for the next day’s fast.
It is safe to exercise during Ramadan . Exercise at the right time and at low to moderate intensity .
1. Walking or cycling helps burn calories and improve stamina.
2. Low intensity resistance training helps to maintain muscle strength.
3. Full body stretching helps to improve flexibility and also in detoxification.
4. Floor exercises like free squats, push-ups, calf raises etc improves functional activities.
5. Yoga and meditation help in detoxification.
6. Exercise for 20 to 40 minutes.
7. Don't exercise during the fasting phase. Exercise either before or after the meal. Exercising during fasting will burn muscles.
8. Avoid high intensity exercises like high speed running, stepper, heavy weight lifting, high intense group classes as it can lead to joint or muscle injuries and complications like low blood pressure,hypoglycemia, dizziness, etc.